Role: Frontline Unit/Tank
Compared to other Falchion-users, Marth can be seen as a bulkier but slower and weaker version of Lucina, a bulkier and faster version of Alm, and also a faster and more magic resistant version of Chrom. More than anything, Marth is best used as a frontline attacker who has great bulk because of his stat-spread and mobility thanks to his initial skills, Pivot and Escape Route who also has good longevity thanks to his personal weapon, the Falchion which grants him the skill Renewal. Unfortunately, he lacks a special which can be easily fixed thanks to Skill-Inheritance.
|Explanation of Recommended Skills
- Falchion is the most suitable weapon for Marth since it has an extremely high might of 16 and a built-in Renewal to further increase his longevity.
- Reciprocal Aid is a good option for Marth since this allows him to provide passive healing to allies and has good synergy with other offensive options like Desperation and can also, when combined with Renewal, allow Marth to become a passive healer.
- Otherwise, Marth's Assist skill is left as Flexible and should be selected depending on a player's team composition and preference.
- Bonfire allows Marth to deal an 16 points of additional damage every 3 turns (may vary depending on IV's) considering his high DEF stat.
- Draconic Aura allows Marth to deal relatively the same amount as Bonfire however may still be used depending on the unit's IV's since he still has a high ATK stat.
- Noontime or even Sol allows healer builds to gain a clutch heal during combat when Marth may not be able to get a heal from Falchion or Renewal in time.
- Fury increases all of Marth's stats and allows him to reach remarkable milestones. For example, he will be able to consistently up to 16 damage with his skills and even avoids doubles from many, if not all, major threats with his solid 37 SPD stat. This skill also has good synergy with his weapon, Falchion since this allows him to consistently heal the damage he loses and can also work well with other offensive options such as Desperation and Vantage.
- Death Blow should only be considered if Marth has a + Spd IV since this allows him to deal significantly more damage and allows him to take out major threats such as Ninian and Corrin (F) especially if they have been affected by Threaten Speed.
- Swift Sparrow works even better than Death Blow because you gain both Atk and Spd when initiating combat.
- Swordbreaker will allow Marth to take out other powerful sword-users like Eirika, Lucina and Ryoma.
- Renewal grants Marth recovery every 2nd turn combined with his Falchion's recovery every 3rd turn. This allows Marth to recover damage easily and can offset the damage he takes from a Fury build.
- Desperation will allow Marth to do better in the Player Phase considering his above-average SPD stat, especially if he's +SPD.
- Threaten Attack allows Marth to survive hits from certain key threats.
- Threaten Speed allows Marth to double more units and allows him to survive a hit from Linde.
- Threaten Defense improves his match-up against certain Red units he has trouble defeating.
- Otherwise, Marth's C-slot skill is left open and is up to the player's discretion.
+ - Good base ATK, decent SPD, DEF and RES.
+ - Built-in Renewal into Weapon.
+ - Unique weapon is effective against dragons.
- - Low base RES which leaves him open to ORKO from powerful mages.
- - Most common Dragon units are Blue thus difficult to kill (especially Nowi who usually runs Triangle Adept).
- Mages: Usually, powerful mages like and will be able to completely annihilate him because of his low RES rating. Also, some mages like and tend to run skills like Swordbreaker to check Red units and thus can take advantage of Marth's low RES.
- Bulky Lance Wielders: Characters like and will be able to tank a hit from Marth with ease and deal powerful fatal blows in retaliation.
- : Not only Julia but green units in general like and can check troublesome Blue units like , , and alike but it should be worth mentioning that Julia has the best RES among the green mages and thus has an advantage in taking care of the said threats. Julia also has the capability to heal Marth with her skill, Breath of Life which helps offset the damage he takes from Fury.
- : Like Julia, Hector will be able to check Blue Units Marth may have trouble dealing with while also providing him some cover in exchange for recovery should Marth run Reciprocal Aid.