This page aims to cover the basics of the game and is meant to provide brief detail about the features of the game. If you would like further detail regarding a topic mentioned here, be sure to check out its Main article linked at the top of each section.
This article is organized based on the menu screens in-game (Home, Battle, Allies, etc.). If there's a specific section you want to get to, find out which menu screen it belongs to and then the section you want. For example, to read up on Sending Home units, that would be under Allies > Send Home.
For new players looking for a guide to getting started, check out the Beginners Guide.
For a specific question, try checking the Frequently Asked Questions page as well.
- 1 Gameplay / Mechanics
- 2 Home / Castle
- 3 Battle (Game Modes)
- 4 Allies
- 5 Summon Heroes
- 6 Shop
- 7 Miscellaneous
- 8 Other
Gameplay / Mechanics[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Mechanics
Fire Emblem Heroes is a tactical role-playing game where you control a team of 4 units to fight against enemy units on various maps turn by turn.
Map[edit | edit source]
- Main Article: Mechanics: Map
Each map is an 8x6 map with terrain such as forests, mountains, walls, and more. A player's team of heroes and the enemies start in predetermined positions where each side will then take turns moving and battling around the map. The goal of each map is to ultimately move and use these heroes to battle and defeat all the enemies.
Combat[edit | edit source]
- Main Article: Mechanics: Combat
In Fire Emblem Heroes, combat is initiated when a unit attacks an opposing unit. There are several factors to take into account when initiating an attack including:
- Weapon Properties (Might, Range, and Additional Skills)
- Color Weapon Triangle Advantage/Disadvantage
- Type of Damage Weapon (Physical or Magical)
All of these along with a character's stats and skills are used to determine the results of an attack.
Stats[edit | edit source]
Each character has five stats listed and described as follows:
|Hit/Health Points (HP)||This is the unit's health. If this hits zero, they are KO'd|
|Attack (ATK)||This is the unit's overall damage stat regardless of what type of weapon they use.|
|Speed (SPD)||This is the unit's speed. If a unit has 5 or more SPD over an opponent, then that hero can attack the enemy twice. This does not affect a unit's movement distance.|
|Defense (DEF)||This is the unit's physical-based damage reduction stat. This reduces how much damage a unit will take from physical damage.|
|Resistance (RES)||This is the unit's magical-based damage reduction stat. This reduces how much damage a unit will take from magic damage.|
Energy[edit | edit source]
Stamina (PvE energy) is the energy used for playing battles outside of Arena. There is a max of 99 stamina and 1 stamina is recovered every 5 minutes (An empty stamina bar fully recovers in 8 hours and 15 minutes). This can also be fully recovered using Stamina Potions or Orbs.
Dueling Swords (PvP energy) is the energy used for playing battles in Arena. There is a maximum of 3 Dueling Swords per day which refreshes at Daily Reset. This can be fully recovered using a Dueling Crest or Orbs.
Orbs[edit | edit source]
Orbs are the main currency in the game. Orbs are needed to summon heroes. They can also be used refresh stamina, refresh dueling swords, and other actions when lacking the required items to do so (eg. If a player does not have a stamina potion to refresh stamina, then an orb can be used instead). Orbs can be obtained from the sunday daily reward, on first completion of story maps, through events, or by buying them from the Shop with real money.
Daily Resets[edit | edit source]
There is a reset daily at 7:00 AM UTC which will refresh several in-game items as well as update maps and rewards. This is also the standard start time for Arena and announced events.
The current list of items/maps refreshed and updated daily are as follows:
- Daily Rewards
- Castle Unit Gifts
- Friend Greetings
- Bulletin Board Updates
- Character-specific Special Maps
- Training Tower Rewards
Other things that will be updated at the daily reset time, but not daily:
- Arena New Season Start - Tuesdays
- Announced Events
- Weekend Login Bonus (Event)
Home / Castle[edit | edit source]
- Main Article: Home / Castle
A player's home / castle is one of the menus available to the player in-game. There are several actions and features a player can access on this page which include:
- Notice Board - In-game news and announcements
- Character Interaction - Receiving gifts and unique dialogue from heroes in the castle
- Present List - Mailbox to receive gifts and rewards sent to the player.
- Friend List - View, add, delete, and receive gifts from friends
- Quests and Missions - View and receive rewards for completing quests and missions in-game
- Upgrade Castle - Upgrading castle to permanently increase EXP received when training heroes
Battle (Game Modes)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Game Modes
This is where a player can select and battle through various maps.
Battling will give characters Experience (EXP) and Skill Points (SP) which will be explained later. However, characters will not gain EXP and SP if they are 5 levels above an enemy unit.
Unlike other Fire Emblem games, a character dying in battle will not make them disappear forever. However, they will lose all EXP and SP that they gained during that one battle they died in.
Story[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Story
- Main article: Story Maps
- Main article: Paralogue Maps
- Main article: Chain Challenge
- Main article: Squad Assault
Here players will learn about the Kingdom of Askr and work through 3 difficulties. Normal, Hard and Lunatic. Each first completion of a map will reward an Orb.
Arena Duels[edit | edit source]
Arena is Fire Emblem Heroes' PVP system where a player can battle against other players' teams controlled by the AI, score points to get ranked, and receive rewards based on final rank. Each day three Dueling Swords are given which are needed in order to battle others. To obtain more Dueling Swords, either a Dueling Crest or Orb will need to be used.
Training Tower[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Training Tower
The Training Tower is a set of 11 randomized map levels called Strata where players can train units for EXP and earn rewards for completing the maps.
Special Maps[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Special Maps
Special Maps are specific maps on rotation or from announced events which contain rewards upon first completion. This may include characters, Orbs, and other rewards.
These maps may have special conditions for victory such as "All allies must survive." and still cost stamina like normal maps. Pay attention to the recommended level requirement and make sure your team is prepared.
Examples of special maps include, but are not limited to, Hero Battle Rotation maps, Grand Hero Battle maps, and Bound Hero Battle maps. For a list of current Special Maps as well as reference to previous ones, refer to the Special Maps page.
Voting Gauntlet[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Voting Gauntlet
Tempest Trials[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Tempest Trials
Allies[edit | edit source]
Edit Teams[edit | edit source]
This menu option is where a player can edit their team to bring into battle.
A maximum of ten teams can be created and can be switched to by swiping the teams left and right. It is possible to name each of your teams.
The defensive team used for arena defenses can also be set here.
If a team slot is empty, a character can be added by just tapping them from the list. To replace a character, tap that character's portrait to replace on the team and then select the character replacing that unit.
Characters can be sorted in a variety of ways, which can be done by tapping "Sorting" and select one of the various sorting labels.
To learn more specifically about various heroes, view the Hero List.
Learn Skills[edit | edit source]
Main Article: Skills: Learning Skills
This menu option is where units can learn new skills. To learn skills, the character needs to have enough Skill Points (SP), the "currency" for learning skills, in order to learn that skill. SP can be obtained through battle by doing damage to enemies, levelling up, and successfully killing enemies.
Equip Skills[edit | edit source]
Main Article: Skills: Equip Skills
Typically, a character will have multiple skills that can be equipped in a certain slot. For example, some characters may have two different Special skills which they can equip, but a hero can only choose one to take into battle.
This menu option is where different skills can be equipped and swapped between on a character.
Level Up[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Experience
It is possible to level up units without taking them into battle using shards and crystals. This will not adversely affect the unit's stats in any way.
Shards are used to level a character to 20 while crystals are used for levels 21 and above. Shards and crystals have different colors, and the color used will depend on the color of of the unit to be levelled. There is also a universal shard/crystal which can be used for any color units.
The game will use color-specific shards first before using the universal shards to level up.
Send Home[edit | edit source]
Send Home is essentially the way to remove characters a player does not want anymore. Sending home units will give a set amount of feathers depending on the star rarity that unit is at.
|Star Rarity||Amount of Feathers Received|
Advanced Growth[edit | edit source]
Ally Support[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Ally Support
Using Ally Support, two units can be paired together to grant each other passive stat boosts when near each other in the field.
The support level grows as the units fight together, and applies equally to all copies of the units, but do not stack when several copies are fighting simultaneously.
Ally Support bonds can be changed at any time, at the cost of the support level going back down to zero.
Summoner Support[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Summoner Support
Using Summoner Support, a single unit can be selected to bond with the player, granting them a passive stat increase.
The support level grows as the unit fights, and only applies to the single copy chosen for the bond.
Summoner Support bonds can be changed at any time, at the cost of the support level going back down to zero.
Unlock Potential[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Unlock Potential
Unlocking Potential is upgrading a character's star rarity such as 3 to 4 or 4 to 5, etc.
In order to unlock the potential of one of a character, the following is needed:
- At least Level 20 character
- Feathers (Amount varies based on star rarity)
- Badges / Great Badges (Amount and type varies based on star rarity)
- From a 1 to a 2, it will cost 20 feathers and 5 badges ( of their respective color )
- From a 2 to a 3, it will cost 200 feathers and 10 badges ( of their respective color )
- From a 3 to a 4, it will cost 2,000 feathers and 20 badges ( of their respective color )
- From a 4 to a 5, it will cost 20,000 feathers and 20 Great badges ( of their respective color )
- In total, to get a 1 to a 5, it will cost 22,220 feathers, 35 badges and 20 Great badges.
Inherit Skills[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Inheritance Guide
Skill inheritance allows units to learn skills from other units not learned by default. For example, Takumi's Close Counter can be inherited by other units, allowing them to use Close Counter as well. These skills inherited cost 1.5x the original amount of SP to learn.
However, not all units can learn every skill. There are three types of restrictions:
- Weapon-Type Restriction (eg. Healing skills can only be learned by staff users.)
- Movement-Type Restriction (eg. Goad Armor can only be learned by Armored units.)
- Exclusive Skills (eg. Sing can only be learned by Azura.)
Merge Allies[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Merge Allies
Character duplicates can be merged together.
There are a few things that can happen when merging depending on the star rarity of the characters used:
|Merging a lower star rarity unit into a higher star rarity unit||Additional SP|
|Merging two units of the same star rarity (4 and Below)||Decreased Unlock Potential Feather Cost (Same amount as sending home), Increased Stats (2 random points to stats), Additional SP|
|Merging two units of the same star rarity (5)||Increased Stats (2 random points to stats), Additional SP|
|Merging a unit with previous merges to a non-merged unit of the same star rarity (5)||Increased Stats (2 random points to stats), Additional SP. The non-merged unit will inherit the merges of the previous unit.
For example, a Level 1 unit merging with a Level 20+2 unit will result in a Level 1+3.
The remaining enhanced character will receive the bonuses listed above, but any levels or SP from the source ally will be lost forever.
Favorited heroes cannot be merged into other heroes. A unit is favorited if there is a heart icon on the character's icon.
To un-favorite a character, press and hold the character's icon to get into the character's status page. Tap the heart to unfavorite that character.
Summon Heroes[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Summon Heroes
In this menu option, a player can use orbs to summon more heroes to fight with from summoning banners.
Shop[edit | edit source]
In the shop, a player can:
- Purchase Orbs - Purchase orbs with real money.
- Upgrade Castle - See Upgrade Castle section above.
- Restore Stamina - Using 1 Stamina Potion (or 1 Orb) will restore stamina completely.
- Restore Dueling Swords - Using 1 Dueling Crest (or 1 Orb) will restore all 3 Dueling Swords.
- Expand Barracks - Barracks refers to the amount of heroes a player can have at any one time. By default, the size of the Barracks when starting the game is 200; therefore, a player can have 200 total units at the start of the game. The cost of increasing Barracks is 1 Orb for +5 size, for a total of 1000 spots.
- Complete Purchase - If an error occurs during Orb purchase and the purchase process is interrupted, this option can be selected to resume the process.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
Inventory[edit | edit source]
All items (Orbs, Stamina Potions, Dueling Crests, Shards/Crystals, Badges/Great Badges) can be viewed here.
Catalog of Heroes[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Catalog of Heroes
A catalog in which you can view the quotes and battle animations of Heroes you own, and the silhouettes of heroes you have only seen.
Hero Merit List[edit | edit source]
This list is where a player can view all heroes and their hero merit.
Settings[edit | edit source]
This is where a player can change their settings to his/her personal liking. Here are the following things which can be changed:
- Combat Animations (On/Off) - A player can choose to view all combat (Attacking) animations, only the combat animations on the player's turn, or no combat animations at all.
- Support Animations (On/Off) - A player can choose to view all support (Healing, Assists) animations, only the support animations on the player's turn, or no support animations at all.
- Auto-Favorite - When summoning a hero, this auto-favorites whatever star quality level selected and above. This is defaulted to 4-stars.
- Starting a Map - When starting a map, this decides whether you go into battle immediately, or swap spaces between your Heroes.
- Smart End (On/Off) - This option automatically ends a player's turn when all ally heroes have moved.
- Show Danger Area (On/Off) - Shows the danger area when you go into battle.
- Confirm Action - The default action of the game is to automatically execute a move when a player finishes dragging a unit. Switching to Tap means a tap is needed to confirm an action (Attacking enemy, healing ally, etc.).
- Confirm Move - The default action of the game is to automatically execute a move when a player finishes dragging a unit. Switching to Tap means a tap is needed to move to the spot selected.
- Double Tap to Wait (On/Off) - This option allows you to complete an action by double tapping the hero.
- Auto-Battle Text - An option which decides how the text moves along.
- Continuous Auto (On/Off) - This option allows you to use Auto-Battle continuously through modes with many maps (Tempest Trials, Chain Challenge, etc.)/
- Silent Mode - Toggle the game to be silent or not.
- BGM Volume - Background Music Volume
- SE Volume - Sound Effect Volume
- Voice Volume - Character Voice Dialogue Volume
Account Management[edit | edit source]
This option allows a player to either link a Nintendo ID or unlink a Nintendo ID if one is already linked. Linking a Nintendo ID will allow players to obtain myNintendo Fire Emblem Heroes-related items.
Google Play Achievements / Game Center (iOS)[edit | edit source]
Google Play (Android) and Game Center (iOS) achievements are displayed here.
FAQ / Etc.[edit | edit source]
In this screen menu, the following can be accessed:
- Customer Support
- User Agreement
- About This App
- Change Nickname
- Change Language
- Sharing Usage Data
- Return to Title Screen
Other[edit | edit source]
Character Status Page[edit | edit source]
Although not part of any other specific menu, this page is useful for viewing the stats and skills characters have as well as being able to favorite a character from here. This page can be accessed by pressing and holding a character's icon. A short description and backstory of the character can also be viewed by tapping on their name or title.
In battle, this page can be viewed by tapping a unit on the map, looking at their status across the top, and pressing the + button on top off the unit's portrait.