Penalties (also known as debuffs in early tooltip text) are temporary stat decreases inflicted through status effects. For example, is a passive skill which inflicts penalties that reduce Atk and Spd. Penalties are not to be confused with combat reductions or reductions in general.
Negative status effects on a unit, including penalties, lasts until a unit takes an action, unlike positive status effects, which last until the start of the unit's phase.
- Penalties which affect the same stat will not stack with each other (e.g. and ). Only the highest value will apply.
- Penalties affecting different stats (e.g. and ) will apply simultaneously.
- Penalties will stack with bonuses and combat boosts. They will both apply at the same time and will not cancel each other out.
- Wording of skills that target bonuses or penalties can be inconsistent in their applications of the term.
- Some skills that claim to target penalties will target bonuses affected by Panic, such as .
- However, some skills that claim to target penalties will not target bonuses affected by Panic, such as .
- Stats cannot be reduced below 0 by penalties, but penalties are always fully counted for skills that consider their values.