| Like most armored units, due to her lack of movement, Effie is often picked off or damaged for free fairly easily by ranged enemies while trying to approach her target. On top of that, with a Dancer or positioning skills on the other team, these ranged units can essentially move out of Effie's range and kite her until she dies. Thus, this build takes and revolves around Distant Counter Distant Counter (300 SP)|
(1) Enables unit to counterattack regardless of distance to attacker. to deal with ranged units. Although not an extreme player phase powerhouse like Brave Effie, this build is still extremely potent due to her already high base Atk. For many ranged units who cannot one-shot Effie or lack the Defense to take a hit, this build shuts these units down. Thanks to Effie's already-high base Atk, tankiness and Wary Fighter, this build still poses a threat to melee units as well, making her a more rounded unit.
For her IVs, to start -Spd is her bane of choice. Not only is this because her Spd is already abysmally low, but because with Wary Fighter, she doesn't need to worry about her Spd being even lower. +Atk is taken as her boon to increase the damage Effie can dish out. Other boons are acceptable to increase her tankiness.
Deft Harpoon+ Deft Harpoon+ (14 Mt, 300 SP)
Effect: If unit has 100% HP at start of combat, unit gets Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2.
If attacking, unit will take 2 damage after combat. is taken as her weapon of choice. Deft Harpoon+ provides an overall stat boost for Effie's first engagement. However, this weapon is not only an expensive investment but was an exclusive weapon limited to the Ylissean Summer (Focus) and no longer available. Slaying Lance+ Slaying Lance+ (14 Mt, 300 SP)
Effect: Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). is also a strong alternative that also has high Mt and decreases her special cooldown by 1. This means she run Bonfire Bonfire (3 CD, 200 SP)
Effect: Boosts damage dealt by 50% of unit's Def. at the same charge cooldown as a regular Moonbow with much greater damage thanks to Effie's high Def. Alternatively, Effie's default weapon Silver Lance+ Silver Lance+ (15 Mt, 300 SP)
Effect: No special effect. can be used instead if neither option is available.
Defensively, the build keeps Effie's default B-slot passive Wary Fighter 3 Wary Fighter (60 / 120 / 240 SP)
(1) Prevents follow-up attacks in combat from unit and foes if unit's HP ≥ 90%.
(2) Prevents follow-up attacks in combat from unit and foes if unit's HP ≥ 70%.
(3) Prevents follow-up attacks in combat from unit and foes if unit's HP ≥ 50%. to prevent other units from doubling Effie. This is what allows Effie to successfully survive most encounters despite her low Spd. Without it, she will lose several match ups against speedier units such as mages.
Pivot Pivot (150 SP)
Effect: Unit moves to opposite side of adjacent ally. is chosen as her Assist of choice due to Armored units appreciating the extra movement. Swap Swap (150 SP)
Effect: Swap places with an adjacent ally. can also be taken as well. Swap is typically seen on tankier units. For example, one common scenario is using Swap on an ally who is in range of the enemy. Unlike other skills like Reposition which will keep both heroes out of range, Swap will leave one unit in range. Effie is fantastic at taking hits, thus Swap is a potential Assist skill that can be taken as well.
For her special, Moonbow Moonbow (2 CD, 200 SP)
Effect: Resolve combat as if foe suffered Def/Res-30%. is selected due to its quick charge time and extra damage, but as mentioned before, she can opt for 3-charge specials if running Slaying Lance+ such as Bonfire Bonfire (3 CD, 200 SP)
Effect: Boosts damage dealt by 50% of unit's Def. or Draconic Aura Draconic Aura (3 CD, 200 SP)
Effect: Grants +30% to Atk..
For her C passive, Panic Ploy 3 Panic Ploy (60 / 120 / 240 SP)
(1) At start of turn, bonuses become penalties on all foes in cardinal directions with HP 5 or more lower than unit through foe's next action.
(2) At start of turn, bonuses become penalties on all foes in cardinal directions with HP 3 or more lower than unit through foe's next action.
(3) At start of turn, bonuses become penalties on all foes in cardinal directions with HP 1 or more lower than unit through foe's next action. works well on Effie due to her high HP, and allows her to reverse the buffs prevalent on common themed teams (Cavalry, Flying Unit, Armored). This also includes teams that revolve around a -blade tome mage and buffs. Since a green mage with Gronnblade+ (eg. Nino) has the potential to one-shot Effie, using Panic Ploy to reverse these buffs means Effie has the chance to not only survive a -blade attack, but also potentially kill the mage on the counter.
Otherwise, her C-slot is left open for whatever else a team may need such as Hone Buffs, Threaten / Other Ploy Debuffs, etc.